When we first moved to Folsom we stumbled upon a park. This isn't your usual park, at least not to me. I knew there was something different about it when I read this sign posted near the front of the park.
The sign reads:
WILDLIFE NOTICE: FOLSOM IS HOME TO MANY FREE ROAMING WILDLIFE SPECIES, INCLUDING COYOTES AND RATTLESNAKES. THESE MEMBERS OF OUR NATURAL COMMUNITY SHOULD BE RESPECTED AND AVOIDED. PLEASE KEEP YOUR ANIMALS ON LEASH.
Great I thought. This is just the place I want my daughter playing. "Go ahead and play honey. Just keep an eye out for coyotes (no that's not a dog) and rattlesnakes (no that's not a baby rattle). The sign fails to mention the dozen or so "free roaming" chickens and roosters cock-a-dooing around the park. "What Delia? What white spots? Oh those white spots. Let 's not touch that, it's chicken poo."
Yes, the park has chickens and lots of them. Did I mention there are 2 or 3 peacocks too. They get really close and if you have food they're on you like a pack of...well coyotes. I think some would even eat out of your hand. There are trails that can be taken through trees, bushes, etc. This is most likely the reason why they posted about the "wildlife".
We've ventured to this park many times since that first visit. A feat you may think is crazy considering the warnings mentioned above. Hey, if the chickens can survive in a place where coyotes may lurk, then I think a little visit from us can't hurt.
The last time was especially fun because we brought along some bread to feed the many chickens (and roosters) with. Here is a short video of Delia feeding the chickens. She really did enjoy herself. And from the way she talks to chickens I think she'll be a pretty sweet big sister.

1 comment:
Crazy Park!! You guys live on the wild side.
You inspired us to make our own blog. Maybe Delia will enjoy seeing Walker as much as he loves to see her little videos!
http://darin-burks-family.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment